- Name: Chamila Walawenayaka
- Year: 2016
- Studio: Level III
- University: University of Moratuwa
Moratuwa is the most famous city in Sri Lanka regarding Timber Crafts.Especially in furniture designing. It owns to a remarkable history related with this industry.
In the existing condition of Sri Lanka, it has a higher demand for timber crafts. In other hand there are so many issues relate with this industry. Finding solutions for these issues will develop the timber craft industry in Sri Lanka. By proposing a place which give solutions for those issues will helpful for success of the industry.
- CLIENT – State Timber Corporation Sri Lanka
- LOCATION – Kurusa junction, Moratuwa.
- INVESTORS – State Timber Corporation Sri Lanka / Plywood Corporation Sri Lanka
Timber industry in Moratuwa has so many issues. These issues are affecting to the timber craft market of the country.
- No proper place to exhibits there products
- Lack of knowledge in modern technology
- Lack of knowledge in modern machineries
- Timber waste generation
Proposing a Timber Craft Center with solutions for above facts, will benefit to the development of timber craft industry in Sri Lanka.
IDEAS WHICH INSPIRED BY
There are so many waste generation in timber workshops. These waste are used for burning processes. 60% of wood is used to build timber crafts from a tree. By considering these things, it is a vast natural disaster for a country. Recycling these waste and making modified timber products give economic and environmental benefits to the industry.
Due to the higher demand for the timber in present Sri Lankan market conditions, there is a substantial increase in waste generation in the timber industry. At the same time products using timber waste become an economically viable alternative in the construction industry.
My research is to create a platform to Promote an alternative construction technology focused on products based on recycled or modified timber waste.
The timber craft center building thus transform into a collection of technological demonstration of this alteration system and also a hybrid of modern and traditional technologies in carpentry industry evolved in Moratuwa.
VISION OF THE PROJECT
This Project will give idea to the whole country about the recycled or modified timber products as alternative material to the field of timber crafts.
- Giving space to exhibit products to the Timber craftsmen who have no space to exhibits their products.
- Give knowledge to the timber craftsmen about new technologies and modified timber products.
- Give space to have researches on timber waste based materials.
- Improve the preference to the timber crafts among people
Give an identity to the Moratuwa on timber research center