- Name: Mahima Herath
- Year: 2017
- Studio: Level III
- University: University of Moratuwa
Panadura being a transit city to many trespassers importance of the city’s public transportation nodes and roads can be identified as a prominent character shaping the city. Adorned with a wide unexploited beach the city has a potential to be developed into a tourist destination when provided with necessary comforts and activities to entertain.
- Considering strengths and weakness a master plan has been provided for Panadura.
- The proposed railway station is a remodeling and an addition to the existing station.
- Client: Sri Lanka Railway Department
- Location: Same site as the present railway station
Creating function specified districts knowingly or unknowingly within a city could create adverse effects on the community on long term. Existing Railway Station has become a barrier between the commercial center of the city and major residential area promoting segregated districts which grows intensely with the city. Main idea of the proposal is to blur this boundary and to bridge the activities within the city using the station.
Both New and Old Galle road run through the city leading to down-south destinations.
Unfortunately, with the introduction of the new Galle road the bus terminal has been placed unfavorably to the old Galle road isolating the Railway Station opening up to the old Galle road. It was clear to see on the Nolli map. In the prevailing setting the Railway Station has become a division between the residential commercial districts of the city. Creating an unhealthy segregation for social activities.
To create a bridge between the commercial and residential centers of the city with many recreational platforms within the railway station.
- Railway activities.
- Connecting the two city squares.
- Promoting recreational activities for local and foreign tourist.
- Developing the current railway station into a Railway museum with an ‘’on-train’’ café.
- Operating short run trains for recreational purposes.
- Develop Railway system by Encouraging more commuters to use railway system as a popular choice of public transportation.
- By promoting comfort within the station and the surrounding areas.
- Experiment on a pre-fabricated building system which could be promoted as a model structure.
- Promoting recreational within the city.
- Encourage activities of city squares.
- Attracting local and foreign tourists.
- Railway Museum and related activities to educate the public.