- Name: Hitesh Raut
- Year: 2017
- Studio: Final Year Thesis Project
- University: Rizvi College of Architecture , Mumbai, India
Project title: Theorizing Heritage -Valuing the past of Bassein
Site location: Bassein Fort, Vasai, Palghar, Maharashtra, India
Heritage awareness is a crucial part of any heritage conservation and management. The creation of awareness is time consuming and it requires commitment and local support. It is often the most recognizable component of a heritage management. One of the effective ways to build and maintain respect for heritage is through a selection of activities that raise public awareness and increase participation of the local community. The success of heritage conservation initiatives is achieved through support of people and authorities.
Over a period of time these heritages have been ignored thus leading to deterioration of the structure. It has become the need of the day to take initiative and at least protect precious heritages in our surrounding.
Aim of the Project
The main aim of this project is to conserve the existing fort remains and create an awareness centre that would contribute to its conservation.
The city of Mumbai has vast number of heritages in both the city and its suburbs. These are protected and looked after by Archeological survey of India(ASI). The site selected is Bassein fort (Vasai fort).
Design Strategies for the proposal
- The various fort attractions have to be easily accessible from the proposed halts. The spaces should be easily accessible by foot to save time. This would help tourist to explore the place without any difficulty.
- The aim is to create a promenade than provide wider roads. Creating walkways help tourist traverse the spaces. Trees planted along the promenade would act as a natural shading as well as increase green cover.
- The aim is to promote pedestrian walkways and reduce vehicular traffic.
- The proposed built form must have visual connectivity with the fort precinct. Thus, it would fulfil the main aim of historical awareness through it.
- In order to build the proposed built form it is necessary to restore the existing ruins. The proposed structure has an identical form but different function than the existing structure. Similar materials would used to built the new structure.
- Interaction between the localities and the tourist is one of the objectives behind this proposal. It would provide the localities a platform to showcase their culture and talent. The factor which can
The project concerns the development of forts. The central aim of this research is to preserve our past and conserve it for our future generation. This project works as a prototype for the conservation of unique treasures, though it depends on the factors like site condition, geographic location, climate, the material used and historic background.
This project divided into three phases, The Entrance Avenue (near main for entry point), Activity Space (Near main citadel) and Exhibition Space (near sea gate or exit)
- It’s a Vicinal to the main fort entrance. The entrance avenue commences the journey of the Vasai fort precinct.
- The avenue would have a Security check in and checkout. Provision for security cabin and rest room for tourist guides have been made here.
- It would also serve as the drop of point for tourist buses and private vehicles. Parking space for 3 mini buses and a waiting area has been provided for tourist
- Tourist guides available as per people’s convenience.
- Tourist can commence their journey either by going to the first spot that is Porta Do Terra (Land gate) or by walking along the pedestrian walkway that leads to the 3 bastions.
- The wall top presents the tourist an enticing view of the entire fort and its surrounding.
- Idea Locator is displayed along the walkways.
Area de Atividade (Activity space)
- In accord to the studies and documentation executed on the fort precinct this halt is very necessary for tourist and localities.
- The 2nd most important aim of this project is to increase the interaction between tourist and localities
- Various amenities like Toilets, drinking water, cafeteria, can be provided for the tourist which are unavailable at present. Also, changing rooms and rest rooms for can be provided for tourist and government authorities.
- Additional activities spaces like workshop spaces, performance area, food stalls, handicraft shops, archaic gallery have also been provided here.
- Extension for the ASI office has also been provided for proper functioning of government/legal work by authority. Also, to provide the authorities with an affable working environment and storage space.
Area de Exposicao (Exhibition Space)
- This is the concluding spot in the proposed design located between St. Joseph’s Cathedral and Porta di Mar (Sea Gate).
- This space has been proposed for the localities to display culture, tradition, historical importance and their talent to the tourist. This would benefit the localities culturally, traditionally and economically.
Further Scope of the Study
- After studying all relevant data and mapping things which are connected to each other can state that condition is becoming worst day by day.
- We need to find permanent solution for all these problems which can be proposed by adding change of use of a structure but for that we need to complete the process of restoration which is taken b government bodies.
- Drafting a modified policy or new policy to state government for better use of fort.
- Start advertising and publishing about proposed work using social media, newspapers, and articles and creating awareness about project for contribution from all sides.
- Making union and organization active from each state by giving one common agenda which will help this project at larger scale.
- Allowing artist, historian and many other activists to participate in this project so that it helps project to see in broader perspective and from each angle of society.
Text description provided by the project author.