- Name: Sajeewa Madhusanka
- Year: 2018
- Studio: Level V
- University: University of Moratuwa
Infertility is a major life circumstance that brings about social and psychological problems. The type and rate these problems in the context of socio-cultural of different geographical areas and Gender of people is different.
Infertility and its treatment process for infertile family is a source of psychological suffering with devastating effects on psychological well-being of infertile couples. Also showed that one of the major causes of psychological distress is the social pressure by community members. While the medical discourse of infertility is dominant, its mental-emotional, socio-cultural and political aspects are still neglected.
In consideration the project is formed as a fertility treatment center to Castle hospital which generate recreational greenery. The current excess is not accommodating advanced treatments for infertility and supportive environment within hospital premises. Primarily functioning to fulfill the needs of fertility treatments the project further questions the possibility of attempting to regenerate recreational and natural environment to heal human minds as Main supportive function to treatment process. Therefore, an architectural solution that addresses the main functional criteria of therapeutic environment and complete the Gap between existing Fertility treatment Facilities and what it needs.
- Less integration to the natural environment in the existing health care facilities in Sri Lanka.
- Contribution from community to emotionally strengthen for people who needs support.
- Need an environment that people create to profound impacts on the human psyche.
- Potential landscaping around the site.
- Healthy interface between patient and Nature to heal. (Biophilic Architecture)
- Promoting Natural Elements of nature, Lighting, Textures, Temperature variations and views.
Design accommodates clinical functions under the elevated landscape and carved court yards from the landscape brings the light and ventilation with keeping privacy of the functions in individual spaces. At the same time main central courtyard keep the circulations, lobbies, common spaces attached and linked with nature.
Planning: All planning is centralized to natural landscaped court yards to emphasis is on an environment that allows for both relaxation and stimulation. And maximize capturing views, natural lights, ventilation. Detailing spaces and spatial qualities to provide kinetic spaces for healing process are the achievements in this project I have concerned.
- Comprehensive Master Planning: to link the existing hospital complex spinal spaces, with recreational landscape generated in new project and to create functional cohesion within the physically segregated medical treatment functions.
- Attach sufficient recreational spaces with elevated green landscape and through such patients, families, visitors would enjoy environment and socializing within the new vision to share the experiences.
- Revamp healthcare facility with environmentally friendly approach with using natural elements, Natural light Ventilation.
- Revitalize the Hospital complex with addition of new amenities (e.g., Restaurants, Knowledge Lobby, Fitness center and Yoga pavilion).
- Through a green lung, generate more healing environment to healthcare facility and eventually it can reduce human stressful mind.
- Antenatal clinic as secondary inked function with promoting family friendly environment within the clinical environment.
- Sync the whole site as a single recreational zone and make the permeable environment.
At the same time beneficial to,
- Build awareness among generations to avoid Infertility by following good health habits.
- Educate and empower the public on health issues, to enable them to increase control over and promote individual and community health.
- Improving health status and reducing inequalities.
Healthcare facilities have only recently adopted sustainable practices, however some components of sustainable design can be found in healthcare facilities of the past. These include natural ventilation and day lighting. The cases that are outlined in this paper show that sustainability has the power to create a healing environment. Emerging the Biophilic environments in health care building is suitable to upgrade in future developments. At the same time the success is retain on psychological, physical well-being of a person.
Relate surrounded public with the recreational spaces and attract them with awareness program. Sharing experiences who had fertility treatments among other people who are trying for baby.
Detailing spaces and spatial qualities to provide kinetic spaces for activities are the achievements in this project.
Text description provided by the project author.